The first phase of this journey is now complete. I have spend countless hours researching, learning and relearning, training and hiking. This is everything I’m taking.
- A ULA Catalyst backpack with my kit, 2.5 days of food, and a water carrying capacity of eight liters.
- A bag for the train. It has my hiking clothes, snacks, and toiletries. I will dispose of it in San Diego when I change into my hiking clothes.
- A box with five days of food that I’m sending to Warner Springs. I’ll mail it once I’m done writing this.
- One pair of Altra Lone Peak 3.5 shoes with Green Superfeet insoles. They have eighteen miles on them to break them in.
- My Ghost Whisper jacket, because it will be cold tomorrow.
- A one-way Amtrak ticket from Milwaukee to San Diego.
That is it. These are my needs. No more and no less. I am so ready to go!